Volgende vergadering: Woensdag, 29 Mei, 17:00; Santa Fé Coffee Shop (agter ABSA), Da Gamaweg, Jeffreysbaai.
Spreker: Dr. Piet Aucamp. Onderwerp: "My seëlversameling en die genealogie".

Soek iets in Jaarringe

Soek jy na 'n berig in Jaarringe? Tik 'n sleutelwoord hieronder in en klik om toegang tot die berig te verkry.

18 September 2012

Purchase a bit of your Irish ancestral homeland

[Reprinted from Eastman’s Online Genealogy Newsletter - Ed.] 


Irish dirt
Whether you are from Ireland or even if your family emigrated from the island several generations ago, you can now own a wee bit of Irish soil. You don't even have to go to Ireland to see it. You can keep it on the mantlepiece or anyplace else you wish. 

Yes, this is a bit of a joke. It isn't worth... well, dirt. However, for anyone with a sense of humour, Auld Sod Gifts is selling a canister of real Irish soil from County Tipperary. 

More Irish dirt
The canister contains three-quarters of a pound of dirt that is certified to be "authentically Irish." I can see this being used as a gift to anyone who is proud of their Irish heritage. On a more serious note, I could also envision this being used to scatter dirt on the grave of an Irish man or woman who died elsewhere. 

I wish I had known about this when I attended the retirement party of a co-worker who was always talking about his Irish ancestry. It would have been the perfect retirement gift! 

You can learn more on the Auld Sod Gifts web site at http://www.auldsodgifts.com/ where the soil sells for US$19.99. I see that Amazon.com sells the same thing for US$10.95. Click HERE. 

I think I would prefer a can of Guinness.